Monday, July 29, 2013

Days 38-42

Sorry I'm awful at updating this. Service has been crappy and I'm usually wiped out by the time I crawl into my tent. We spent a few nights in Ohio (Sandusky, Burton, and New Waterford) and tonight we are in Washington, PA. I was not excited by Sandusky at all, with nothing really going on (except Cedar Point amusement park which I had no interest in) but I did have a wonderful deep tissue massage with Laura. On the ride out of Sandusky we got to ride along Lake Erie for most of the day which was absolutely gorgeous. We've seen some really beautiful sunrises this trip, and this week especially. The weather has been a bit chilly but I'm not complaining at all! We've only had about 3 days this whole trip in the 90's and this week has been mostly 70's. We also keep missing the rain. A lot of towns we go to, like the one last night for instance, they had like 18 days straight of rain. You would never know from the looks of it when we roll through though! Now that we're in PA we are done with the longer, flatter rides and have shorter days with a lot more climbing. It feels like we're back on the east coast. We entered into the heartland of fracking today and they are actually fracking below the campsite as I write. It breaks my heart to see such raping of the land with complete disregard to human well-being. The American Lung Association publicly speaks out against fracking because destroying the air quality is just one of the many externalities that people tend to disregard when they talk about how "wonderful" it is for the economy. I could go on all night, but if you're interested to learn about fracking you should check out the movie Gasland by Josh Fox. Tonight Cara and I are having a sleepover with Nelle in her tent cause it's huge and we're too lazy to set up our own. Tomorrow we head to Confluence, PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment