Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Day 24: Miller, SD to De Smet, SD

Somehow I've numbered the days wrong and I'm too lazy to go back and change them but today is day 24! Halfway through our 48 day ride, we also crossed our halfway point in terms of mileage today. We are now in De Smet, SD and 1700 miles into the trip. This town was home to the author of Little House on the Prarie which is apparently a big deal cause they have a museum and a ton of signs around, but I guess in a small town like this where not too much goes on that is their claim to fame so it's a big deal. I didn't go to the museum. I didn't read the books so I wasn't all that interested. The ride today was a 75 mile ride which got us into town around 12:30. I rode with Cara and Nelle today and we kinda futzed around and took our time. The ride was pretty, especially at sunrise again, but nothing too crazy to see. Lots of farmlands. We got in and had Dairy Queen and it was glorious. Not sure why there are none of those at home but it might be an issue because we have been hittin them up all along the route.

This morning at the first rest stop was the first time on the whole trip that all 14 of us have been at a rest stop at the same time so we took a group photo. Actually, like 14 because everyone wanted one, not realizing we could just as easily email them to one another. I realized though, standing there with the whole group, what a truly pleasant crowd it is and how lucky we are to all get along so well. I like to take my time getting to know people but I'm excited to call all these folks my friends. It really is a great bunch and I'm excited to see what the second half of the trip has in store for us!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Glad to know you and your fellow riders are enjoying each other...makes it all so much better. Hope the second half of the trip is even better for all of you!

    ReplyDelete