Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 15: Billings, MT to Hardin, MT

Yesterday was our third rest day and we were in Billings, MT. We stayed in the dorms at the University of Montana, which was only about a mile from downtown Billings. We got a delicious breakfast at a diner in the morning and all agreed that it was the best oatmeal we had ever had. We then walked around town and stopped at the grocery store to pick up our next meal because there is no such thing as too much food on the Big Ride. Turns out that with the exception of the grocery store, nothing is open at 8:00 on a Sunday morning in Billings so we headed back to the dorms for a few hours to nap and do laundry. Later in the afternoon we headed back downtown for a second lunch and to check out the Billings Art Museum. We heard about a symphony in the park happening that afternoon which we wanted to check out because there was also going to be a petting zoo. We were really hoping to see some more alpacas. As it turns out, this was not your average petting zoo. It is where you can go and touch the instruments before the concert so we were thoroughly disappointed. Once we got our Montana-made ice cream we only stayed for 2 songs before heading home. Two of the girls and I grabbed some dinner at a restaurant across the street from the dorms and then called it a night.

Today was a short 55 mile ride to Hardin. We were on the road by 6:15 and I rode with the boys (the big dogs as they're called). Or tried to keep up I should say, they lost me for a while but I caught up at the rest stops and we rode the last leg into town together. There was a pretty nice climb out of Billings which didn't really phase me as much as it would have in the beginning. I feel myself getting stronger. Even the most miserable of hills are worth it though, some of the downhills have such absolutely breathtaking views it reminds me why I love cycling. We made it in by 10:00 and stopped for 2 more breakfasts in town then proceeded to the campground. After setting up my tent, I spent the day sitting by the pool and breezing through my book. We've lucked out with the weather recently and it looks like the rest of the week is supposed to be nice as well! Tonight after another fabulous meal by Beyond Basil, Nelle's mom (a previous Big Rider) drove us to see Little Big Horn Battlefield. It was pretty cool, we saw the museum and drove around the grounds.

I hit the 1000 mile mark this afternoon! It's been a beautiful few days in Montana and crazy to think that we've gone so far in only 2 weeks. Tomorrow we cross into Wyoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment