Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 25: De Smet, SD to Tyler, MN

Hi there! Today was a 78 mile ride into our 6th state this trip. We had a fair amount of wind hitting us from the side and front which slowed us all down quite a bit. I didn't realize how tired my body was getting. It is our 5th day of riding in a row, and even though the past few days have been relatively short in comparison to others, it certainly takes a toll and slows you down after a while. Thankfully, we only have one more day of riding then a rest day in New Ulm. We are camping on the lawn of the high school here and it's pretty windy. Hoping my tent won't fly away with me in it during the night!

All this time on the bike has given me a whole lot of time to let my mind wander. Most of my time these days is spent thinking about racism and trying to somehow overcome the white supremacy that has been engrained in the minds of children so young, before we are even concious enough to realize it. I hope I don't sound like an asshole right now, because I know it's not something that can just be "solved", and as a white girl I can only understand the struggle to a certain extent, but I was told to write this blog like no one would be reading it so that's what I'm trying to do. With all the Trayvonn Martin stuff going on, getting a taste of the indigenous slaughtering that took place in some areas we have passed through, and seeing firsthand how some of my African American and Hispanic friends are treated by society on a daily basis it is truly appalling. I met Trayvonn's parents the week after the shooting at a rally in NYC and it breaks my heart. I think that getting out of the city for the summer has done me a whole lot of good and I've been able to clear a lot of things up for myself.

On a lighter note though, I also spend a lot of time thinking about things like how these little snakes we see have enough slime to slither across the road without gettin all scratched up. How do they do that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment