Saturday, July 20, 2013

Day 34: Belvidere, IL to Morris, IL

Another century ride closer to home! Well actually today I clocked 110.02 on my odometer by the time I made it to camp. It was the easiest and most enjoyable ride I've done over 100 miles. It was very flat and lots of farms and cornfields so I was able to zone out for most of the day. I zoned a little too hard at some points because I did miss 2 turns but realized I was going the wrong way pretty quickly. Cara and I rode together after the first rest stop and listened to some girl power music to help pass the time. It also helped that we had a slight wind at our backs to keep us movin fast. Illinois is a lot prettier than I expected. This morning we were riding through the farms at sunrise and maybe I'm just getting my period, but I was so overwhelmed by the beauty I just wanted to sit on the side of the road and cry haha! I didn't, and it wasn't any more beautiful than some of the other sights we've seen along the way, but I guess I'm appreciating them more since the trip will be wrapping up soon. We are camping on the lawn of a country club and had dinner in camp tonight. Team 2, my group, was responsible for preparing it. We had lots of different types of salad from Costco, as well as cold cuts and fresh corn on the cob that Lynn picked up from a farmstand today. This is the longest week of the trip in terms of miles that we will travel, but when I finished my ride today it was the first century ride I didn't just collapse into a nap. I actually felt like I could have gone more and kind of wanted to. We welcomed a new rider tonight who will be joining us for a week, Olivia's friend Ali. Tomorrow is only 80 miles, which compared to what we have been doing should be a breeze!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jenny.. I've enjoyed keeping up with your travels across our beautiful country .... I realize that you are familiar with Long Island and that you have read 'On the Road'... but did you know that Jack Kerouac spent time in Northport?

    Kerouac moved to Northport, New York in March 1958, six months after releasing On the Road, to care for his aging mother Gabrielle and to hide from his new found celebrity status.
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kerouac)

    Just FYI... Good luck with the rest of your journey....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool I didn't know that!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete