Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Day 21: Kadoka, SD to Pierre, SD & Day 22: Pierre, SD to Miller, SD

Now that we are out of the mountains and have entered the plains, the weather (specifically the wind) can make our days wonderful or miserable. Luckily, the past two days we've had nice tailwinds helping to push us along. Yesterday was a 96 mile ride into the capitol of South Dakota- Pierre. The group had a combined 13 flats, none of which where mine, so I ended up riding alone until the last few miles when I got lost coming into town and was scooped up by Jeff, Tom, and Luke. I followed them to camp and there was a diner across the street so obviously we had to stop. The food was great, thankfully since it was the only restaurant around, and I ended up back there with another group for dinner. The naps after a century ride are the best naps I have ever taken. I lay down anywhere and pass out like a brick. It's wonderful.

Today we had a great pace going and got into Miller by 10:00, just in time for the breakfast specials at the restaurant in town. We had our first breakfast in the dark at 5:00 this morning and we were on the road by 5:30 before the sun was up. I am rarely ever up this early at home but it was beautiful to see the sunrise as we rode alongside these open South Dakota fields. Everyone told us this would be the most boring state but we're already about halfway through and everyday there has been new scenery to enjoy. We have lunch around 8:00 so we're not sure what to call our meal when we reach the destination. That doesn't stop us though. I always laugh because we can't make it through one meal without discusing our next. I spent the rest of my afternoon napping and giving haircuts to my fellow Big Riders. We are staying in the band room of the high school here which doubled as a salon today. After walking around trying to find a place that would serve us dinner before 5:30 since our bedtime was quickly approaching, we ended up back at the same place we ate this morning. I get to sleep in til 5:00 tomorrow but I think it's just about time to pass out.

No comments:

Post a Comment