Friday, July 19, 2013

Day 41: Viroqua, WI to Madison, WI; Day 32: Rest Day; Day 33: Madison, WI to Belvidere, IL

We had a century ride going into Madison which was filled with gorgeous scenery and lots of hills and really friendly baby cows! It was a long day but there was a frozen yogurt place situated about 95 miles in so it was perfect. Madison was so freaking cool. Maybe because it's the first taste of a real city I've had in a while, but I think it's just an overall awesome place. It kind of reminded me of a more relaxed New York and a bit more of a college town. It seems to be a big party school, from what I heard there are about a third of the 45, 000 students involved in greek life. That has no appeal to me whatsoever, but there are a whole lot of activist-type co-ops which I find to be so fascinating. I was able to visit with Natalie, a friend from my high school who now attends UW Madison, and lives in a co-op and it was bangin. They have their own chickens and grow some of their own food (we planted some basil with her housemates while I was visiting) and are a very DIY bunch. One of her housemates is even making her own mattress out of alpaca fur and the fluffy part of wheat plants! So cool! There are over 30 people (little kids all the way up to adults) who live there and it just seems incredible. I love the idea of collective living- it's amazing how much more can get done when you have a group to split all the work up. That was definitely the highlight of my visit and got me thinking once again how I would love to live in a collective someday. I don't know of all that many in NYC though. Other than hangin at the co-op I went to a bike store, got some lunch with the riders, cut some more hair, and explored a little. They also took me swimming in the lake there, which was beautiful and I'm really glad they didn't tell me about all the big fish until the end of my stay. One day in Madison was certainly not enough. It really got me thinking how different my life could be if I left New York. Not that I plan to anytime soon, but there are a number of places I think I'd like to try living for a bit.

Today we left Madison for Belvidere, IL. Lots of rolling hills and cornfields and MORE ALPACAS!! There was a pen of them on the side of the road today and they were so sassy. We are staying at a campground tonight in the middle of the nothing that is Belvidere. Illinois is our 8th state and they have been flyin by recently! Tomorrow is a 109 mile ride eek! I can't believe we only have 2 weeks left til we arrive in D.C.!

No comments:

Post a Comment