Friday, August 2, 2013

Confluence, PA - Bedford, PA - Gettysburg, PA - Poolsville, MD

One of my only regrets from this trip is that I didn't document it in a much detail as I would have liked to. I suppose when I want to remember the specifics I can just refer back to Olivia's blog.

The rides going into Bedford and Gettysburg were some of the most climbing we had all trip- over 12,000 feet in 2 days. I took a nice spill about 5 miles out of Gettysburg on some train tracks (my own fault for not going over them at the proper angle). I was lucky to escape with only some funky looking scrapes a little gravel in my arm. The day off in Gettysburg was fun, spent most of the day in a tattoo shop with some fellow riders. 4 of us got cycling related tattoos. Mine is a bike with an infinity sign as the wheels on my ankle and I'm very pleased with it. The rest of the day was spent at a kickin all you can eat salad bar with Cara and Melanie. We stayed in the dorms at Gettysburg College which were kinda funky but a bed is a bed! Nice break fom camping.

Today we rode into our 12th state, Maryland. We only had 62 miles to travel so we made it with plenty of time to hang out at the community pool. We are camping on the lawn on the high school here, and 4 of us are stuffing into Nelle's tent to snuggle tonight! Our last dinner as a group was sad, I have really grown fond of each and every person on the trip. Tomorrow is the big day as we roll into DC and I know we're all crazy excited but it's gonna be sad parting ways. Lynn warned us that people have trouble adjusting back to their normal schedules, and I know I will be no exception. I am excited to get home and see everyone, but this trip has been so unbelievable. The Meyers family who held a brunch for us asked me to describe the trip in one word and I've been thinking a lot about it and I've come up with two. The first is unreal, because coming from someone who has never been so out of my comfort zone, I have also never been this satisfied. My bike is kind of just a place where I can let my mind zone out and enjoy the moment. We have all had those times of pure frustration where we think to ourselves that we never want to ride again, but those are few and far between and there are so many more moments of pure elation it makes all the moments of struggle worth it. The second word I would choose is freeing. I have never felt so free of stress and self-doubt. I love the constant movement we've experienced the past 7 weeks.

We have really become a team and it is so beautiful to watch people who are so completely different work together so well. I'm off to do some haircuts to pretty everyone up for the finish line tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment