Friday, June 28, 2013

Day 12: Townsend, MT to Harlowton, MT

I am 101 miles and 2 flat tires closer to the east coast! It was bound to happen eventually and to be honest I'm surprised I was able to escape getting a flat all throughout my training and the Big Ride up until this point. I discovered the first when pumping up my tires this morning at camp which was a rather convenient time to find it. I had a feeling it had something to do with the patch of wet cement I accidently rolled through yestersay to avoid being splatted by a logging truck (my apologies to the very angry pavement guys, whoops).

The ride today started with a 25 mile climb through Helena National Forest then the rest of the day was nice rolling hills. With the tailwind helping us along after lunch Laura, Cara, and I were averaging about 22 mph for a good 40 miles or so. I got my second flat about 10 miles from the end, and Tom, the trip mechanic, came to the rescue with another spare tube since I had already used the one I was carrying earlier in the day. It was a gorgeous ride and one of the most open landscapes I have ever seen. You can look for miles and it's just plains and hills and road. It reminds you how small you are in the scope of this massive world.

No comments:

Post a Comment